Friday, February 15, 2019

A Busy Week!

My first week as Interim Superintendent has been a busy one. I want to first of all thank you for making me feel so welcome. 

Musical Evening: Last Thursday, I began my week by attending the delightful high school musical Bye Bye Birdie. The talented students danced, sang, and entertained the audience with lively musical numbers that were performed on the professional level of a Broadway show. Everything from the dancing, costumes, sets, cast, orchestra pit, and crew were outstanding.

Snow Days Update: Also, the first week brought with it a day that we had a school emergency closing followed the next day by a two-hour delay. As of today, we have used five of our six snow days. I am hoping that the weather will start to improve, and we will not need to use any additional snow days.

Visiting the Schools: I have also enjoyed visiting the schools and introducing myself to many of the staff and students. I love to see all the smiling faces as I walk through the halls. It is great to see that our students are happy and flourishing in a great learning environment.

Athletics Schedule: It is that time of the year where we now look forward to sectional games. Our teams have worked hard all year and getting into sectionals and state playoffs is certainly an exciting time for them.

The upcoming contests for our teams are:

  • February 15: Hockey hosts Liverpool at 6:30 p.m. tonight for a Section 3 Quarter-Final game (if victorious, they will host a Section 3 Semi-Final game on February 20)
  • February 16: Boys Swimming and Diving both compete in the NYS Qualifiers at Nottingham
  • February 19: Girls Basketball hosts Corcoran at 5:00 p.m. in a Section 3 Quarter-Final game (if victorious they would play in the Section 3 Semi-Final at OCC on February 22)
  • February 19: Boys Basketball hosts the winner of Bville/Utica at 7:00 p.m. in a Section 3 Quarter-Final game (if victorious they would play in the Section 3 Semi-Final at OCC on February 24)
  • February 22-23: Devin Earl, wrestler, will be competing at the NYS Championships in Albany
  • March 1-2: Track 4x200 Relay team of Esaias Brumfield, Jake Petrocci, Pat Peris, Dan Gill will compete at the NYS Championship
  • March 2: Varsity Cheerleaders will be competing in the NYS Championship in Rochester

If you have the opportunity this week, I encourage you to go out and support our teams. 

We have a lot to be proud of here at West Genesee. I look forward to meeting many of you so please feel free to introduce yourself to me if you see me at a school or out in the community. 

Enjoy this week off and time with your families. Hopefully when we come back we can begin to see some signs of warmer weather.

~Mike